Thursday, July 29, 2010

Allagash and Chamberlain




Well back for another trip to Chamberlain and Telos Lake. Water level was fishable, but the temperature was over 90 degrees and unbearable. I love the area so much I had applied for a ranger position on the waterway, so the kids and I decided to make a week of fishing, while also doing the interview. The other campers and gate folks must have thought I was nuts changing into a suit and walking around the campground getting ready for the interview. My good friend the Fire Chief in Bangor once told me that if you can't dress up one day in your life for an interview, something was wrong. So in the pouring rain, I cleaned up, shaved and put the suit and tie together, along with black loffers.

After the interview we fished Harrington Lake, there is brand new boat ramp to Harringon, on a shale road base (another flat). At the outlet of Harrington Katahdin Forest has a wonderful campground with lots of sites - in three days no other parties were present. The road to the dam has been gated this year, but the gates are down and the water level is back up to the way it was a few years ago, adding about six feet more water around the lake. Harrington is a deep lake at the south end with wonderful views of our big mountain, trout, togue and white fish roam the lake, along with cray fish. We saw no other boats or fisherman.

Since it was so hot, I tried to keep the tent cool and did not install the rain fly. Remember Murphys Law, while it rained and rained starting at 2am, enough to fill the tub of the tent and all the sleeping bags before we could get a fly up - we had a tough time finding the fly at 2am, so a trip to Millinocket to dry gear and eat at Pelletiers Log House.

Chamberlain and Telos are our prime fishing holes, at the south end of Telos out in front of High Bank and up the lake across from Lock Dam. As we hit the big lake in our 19 foot boat I openned the motor up, seeing a few canoers paddling the shore I went to throttle down - no luck the boat was wide open and roaring. So I pulled the emergency switch to kill it. It appears that the rotted throttle cable I meant to replace last year had let go. So in standing on the rear platform I cut the cable and went to work with a pair of vicegrips. I had Zach start the boat as I attempted to smoothly operate the power - no luck, back wide open again - the live bait being trolled at 30 mph was not happy, nor was I as I was standing on the platform holding on for the ride. Next thought was using a string to pull the throttle forward as it spring loaded to return. I was hoping to troll at 2mph, this didn't work either, so we limped back to the campsite, loaded and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment