Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Memories - John Hammond



It was a typical cool November night, 26 degrees, crystal clear, star bright and still. Zach, "blue" and I were slowly working our waay down a frosty old woods road in search of a few raccoons. Watching a dog work in this fashion is part of the joy, her nose searching the air for scent when suddenly the tails starts moving, then her rear is twitching and the paws are needing my leg....within moments her brawling voice is openning and screaming, let me down I need to run....and off in bounding leaps she gone, almost running on her hind feet as she reaches for the stars and more scent. This was a scene for years gone by and last night. Another bluetick with the same name as one from over twenty years ago....and the memories came flooding back. My partner tonight was my son of thirteen years....but years ago it was one of the most dedicated houndsman and avid outdoors I knew...John Hammond and his Redbones....I would hammer my blue against those dam redbones anyday now or then, at least that was the way John and I bantered back and forth. John passed years ago from a rare skin disease, way too young. But to this day, I carry his memory and his picture with that dam redbone isn't far away. In those few short years John's tales could fill volumes, especially the day the dog followed the cat down in the ledges, then jumped out leaving the down far underground with no way out. John spent days feeding and sleeping with the dog until he could chisel a hole by hand in rock to get his beloved redbone free....I know my search tonight is guided by both hound and houndsman...

1 comment:

  1. nice flooring mats and nice blog we can move here and there if we use Branded walk off and dirt trapper door mats thank you for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete