Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fall Trapping

During this bear season I have been scouting hard for trapping spots, my sister in law has found summer fun, but taking the kids and adults out two - three times a week and calling coyotes around the county. It amazing how close they come out to the car! They don't dare to get out yet and call. But anyways beaver are everywhere, now if only we could find some pricing to make it worth the effort. Seeing a good group of turkeys, but few deer, partridge (be it very hot). The loons (floating coyotes) seem well at hand on the pond, at least in front of camp and they are getting alot more fish than I am.

I am wondering with the low water how the rats, mink and otter are doing, fish must be pooled, but clams at high and dry for the most part. I noticed the eagle and osprey at the same time perched over the Machias watching a pool for signs of fish or other meals.

Its hard in our local area since Mowatt Fur went out to get a great selection of trapping supplies and books. I did visit the Maine Military Store (Frank and Ryan) in Brewer the other day and they had a reasonable selection of material and traps. Ryan said lure, scents and more Duke's are on the way from Cronks. G. Brailey of Kenduskeag also sports a nice collection.

As for local fur buyers about the only one remaining around Bangor at least is Stevens Fur. This man has been around long before the days of Mowatt and knows his fur, be it he could raise his prices a little. Steven's also does Pow Wow's and has a number of damaged tanned hides at great pricing. I purchase tan fur for school projects and to give as gifts to sports that wish to hang something around camp.

I miss the days of Dave Gould and Pomery, boy I am getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment